Obscurity Knocks

Earnest, empathetic, industrious, unpretentious, gay Virgo in Milwaukee with a great life, amazing friends, and a wonderful family.

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Jason Workman MGF found!


A nice guy named Shane sent me an email alerting me to the fact that someone was selling old MGF (Men's Guide to Fashion) magazines on eBay. I had never bought anything off of eBay before, but there's a first time for everything. For $20 I was able to buy the issue of MGF. By the issue, I mean the June 1988 "Special Swimwear Issue!" featuring none other than Jason Workman. Yes, the Jason Workman who first caught my eye when I was an innocent 14 year-old in New Berlin, Wisconsin. The Jason Workman who has appeared here, here, and here in past blog posts. The Jason Workman who became my ideal guy at age 14, and who I haven't forgotten about 20 years later. The Jason Workman who I found perfect because he was not only a hot model, he was also a talented singer and Broadway actor.


Being new to eBay, I wasn't sure how things would work. But a mere four days after I bought the June 1988 MGF on eBay, it arrived from somewhere in upstate New York carefully packaged in my mailbox. I was both excited and apprehensive when I opened the envelope. Excited because I was going to see Jason Workman in swimwear again. Excited because I had spent many, many hours with these photos of Jason when I was a teenager. Apprehensive because I realized that these photos are now 20 years old. Would they be disappointing 20 years later now that I'm 34 and not 14? Would I still find Jason Workman attractive in 2008?


My fears were alleviated as soon as I reached page 28 and saw Jason Workman. A series of odd emotions flooded over me: excitement, sexual arousal, and awkward nostalgia. There he was! Jason Workman in all his hot glory.


The image in this post is NOT Jason Workman. It's Pat Linge. But I wanted to show the cover of the issue of MGF that provided me with so much satisfaction when I was a teenager. Jason Workman's images will be the next posts.

2 Comments:

Blogger @Obamababydaddy said...

Steven,
I have known Jason Workman longer than I haven't. He is a great guy as well as his siblings. They are all very gracious and beautiful people. I went to college with Jason but I also sang with Jason and traveled around the U.S. Singing concerts and having fun with all the talented people. Jason's parent's grew up in my small town in Kentucky. They too are lovely people.
Good Luck,
Mark Mulvaney

7:36 PM  
Blogger SeekHer said...

Steve: I can appreciate your desire to locate Jason, in book, magazine or live flesh. Unfortunately, he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. I knew him well in the 80's, during the time he was in Meet Me in St. Louis. He was my best friend Patrick Quin's lover for several years. Patrick lived above me on West 59th in NYC and I spent a lot of time with him and Jason when they were together. What do I remember about Jason? He loooooved food and loved to eat and never gained a pound. Went into ecstasy talking about his mother's breakfasts of biscuits and gravy. Was tremendously handsome with a killer smile that he flashed when he wanted to charm, which was often. The charm helped overcome his vanity, which was quite real. He believed in his talent and expected quite naturally that he would become a star, which sadly never happened. The last time I saw Jason was after he and Patrick had split, well after Damn Yankees; he was sitting at a cafe on Columbus Ave in NYC. I recall our conversation well because he was recounting in graphic detail and without shame, eyes twinkling, a hook up he just had--loud enough for surrounding tables to hear. His cheeks were a bit sunken, he had begun to use crystal meth. I know he toured after that, and I hoped his getting out of NYC would be good for him and that he got clean. I still hope that. Maybe not the profile you were looking for on a boy-hood idol, but when you've idolized someone for so long it's good to know they are flawed flesh and blood just like the rest of us. PS there is a play on Broadway right now "One Arm" which is Moises Kaufman's staging of a Tennessee Williams screenplay about a one-armed boxer who becomes a male hustler. The star, Claybourne Elder, bears a strong resemblance to Jason. I saw it last night and found myself thinking about Jason throughout. It's a very limited run through July 2, I think, but well worth a trip to New York to see, for many reasons.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home