Obscurity Knocks

Earnest, empathetic, industrious, unpretentious, gay Virgo in Milwaukee with a great life, amazing friends, and a wonderful family.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Dreamgirls

I went to see "Dreamgirls" on New Year's Day. I was not surprised that I enjoyed it, since I am usually a fan of musicals. With a musical I expect entertainment, not an amazing screenplay. That is the case with "Dreamgirls." It's not as good as "Chicago" or "Moulin Rouge," but it's very entertaining with solid performances by most of the cast. Jennifer Hudson steals the show with her performance as Effie. This comes as no surprise since most reviews make this point about Hudson's performance. I plead guilty to the stereotype of a gay man who loves nothing more than a large black woman singing overwrought torch songs. Needless to say, I was whipped into a frenzy when Jennifer Hudson sings "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going." I'm certain that some queeny DJ has already produced a dance version of this song. It's probably receiving heavy play at the gay dance clubs. (I wouldn't know since I haven't set foot in a gay dance club since February 2006.) There are very few films I see where the audience applauds at the end of the movie. That was the case with "Dreamgirls." As much as I loved Jennifer Husdon's performance, I will be incredibly upset if she ends up winning the Best Actress Oscar over Helen Mirren's performance in "The Queen." Dame Mirren unquestionably deserves the Oscar this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home