Obscurity Knocks

Earnest, empathetic, industrious, unpretentious, gay Virgo in Milwaukee with a great life, amazing friends, and a wonderful family.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Dollar Week at Target

Last Sunday began "Dollar Week" at Target. Dollar Week is held 2 times per year, typically in July and again in early January and is when Target puts many staple items on sale. They have it in July because that is otherwise a slower month so it's a good way to create business before back-to-school shopping begins. The same for January when it is used as a way to get people into the store after Christmas. When I used to work at Target #50 in West Allis circa 1992-1993, I DREADED Dollar Week more than any other because every woman in the Milwaukee area came in that week to stock up on paper towels, toilet paper, and other bulky items. A typical purchase might include: four large containers of Tide, four 24-packs of toilet paper, and four 8-packs of paper towels. These women usually wanted all of this stuff put in bags. It would take forever to get people through the checkout lanes. Other popular items included: potato chips, men's and women's underwear and socks, Cascade, Dawn, smelly dog food, large containers of juice and/or juice boxes, and Tampax.

Of the jobs I have had in my life, the only one I really disliked was Target. I think that was because I worked at a store with a large number of full-time people who had worked there for 10+ years. They didn't like the college kids; they both looked down at and resented us. Plus I had to work in the school supply department in July and August, and people would TRASH that section of the store. After the store would close, it would take hours to get things cleaned up and back to normal. I couldn't take having to be straightening notebooks and folders that you knew would be messed up again by noon the next day. It was an awful place to work, although I do enjoy shopping there now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home