Obscurity Knocks

Earnest, empathetic, industrious, unpretentious, gay Virgo in Milwaukee with a great life, amazing friends, and a wonderful family.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Emma

Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" is one of my favorite books. 10 of 10. "Sense and Sensibility" is also a great read. So I thought that I'd try "Emma." To say that for me "Emma" pales in comparison to "Pride and Prejudice" is a huge understatement. For as much as I love "Pride and Prejudice," I didn't care for "Emma." I found every character in the book, particularly Emma herself, Mr. George Knightley, Frank Churchill, Jane Fairfax, Mr. Woodhouse, Harriet Smith - the whole lot was irritating. Emma is a spoiled and bossy brat who always gets her way. And she's rewarded with a kind, albeit boring, husband at the end of the book in spite of her impetuous selfishness.

And don't accuse me of being anti-Jane Austen. I think she's great in "Pride and Prejudice" and in "Sense and Sensibility." But Emma was terrible. I was incredibly glad to finally finish reading this seemingly never ending novel. 2 of 10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home