Obscurity Knocks

Earnest, empathetic, industrious, unpretentious, gay Virgo in Milwaukee with a great life, amazing friends, and a wonderful family.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Love, Lucy

Lesley sent me "Love, Lucy," Lucille Ball's autobiography that she wrote in the 1960s but wasn't published until after her death in 1989. As someone who has seen every episode of the legendary "I Love Lucy" television series, I found this an interesting book detailing Lucy's rise to stardom. She really paid her dues in a large number of B movies in the 1930s and 1940s before her true star turn with "I Love Lucy." It's evident that Lucy was dedicated to her career and wasn't afraid of hard work. She was willing to put in the hours needed in rehearsal to deliver a top-notch performance. I wish that the book spent more time detailing "I Love Lucy" and less on her rise to stardom, but it was a good read nonetheless. She's upfront about her marital problems with Desi Arnaz. They clearly loved each other, but eventually realized that they were better off not married. There's no question that she was a television pioneer and a comedic legend. 7 of 10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home