Obscurity Knocks

Earnest, empathetic, industrious, unpretentious, gay Virgo in Milwaukee with a great life, amazing friends, and a wonderful family.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sex and the City movie


Back in May (yes, I am really behind on blogging), Barbie, Mark and I went to dinner and then to see the "Sex and the City" movie. It was great to see Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha. It felt like getting together with old friends. It brought back fond memories of Sunday evening dinners at Barbie's house and watching the original television series.

While the film was entertaining and fun, I was disappointed in the screenplay. Too much of the film was spent on Carrie's character and her nauseating naval-gazing and self-absorption. Carrie struck me as narcissistic, so much so that I didn't want her and Mr. Big to end up married because neither one deserves happiness given their immature fears and narcissism.

I think that more time should have been spent on Miranda, Samantha, and Charlotte. The Miranda storyline irritated me because I thought that Steve and Miranda had reached a good point in their marriage. I didn't believe the whole idea of Miranda getting emotionally cold and driving Steve into the arms of another woman. Give both characters more credit than that; Miranda conquered her iciness and she and Steve made a commitment in the TV series. I also found the Samantha and Smith storyline disappointing. Along similar lines, I thought that we had covered the ground of Samantha being willing to conquer her fear of emotional intimacy when she decided to have a true relationship with Smith. Instead of ending their relationship, why didn't both of them move back to New York since they were emotionally stifled in Los Angeles?

I felt bad for Stanford, Anthony, and Harry who were relegated to almost non-speaking cameo roles. You would think that in a movie of almost two and a half hours, the screenwriters could have given more substance to Stanford, Anthony, and Harry.

Given the success of the film, it looks like there will be a sequel. I hope that they get better screenwriters for the next installment, particularly since the HBO television series was so well-written.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home