Obscurity Knocks

Earnest, empathetic, industrious, unpretentious, gay Virgo in Milwaukee with a great life, amazing friends, and a wonderful family.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Mama Mia!


Ruben posted his review of Mama Mia!, and now that I've seen it, I'll do the same. Let's face it, the screenplay for this movie and the Broadway show on which the film is based is tissue paper thin. Someone said, "Well, let's figure out a way to make a show featuring Abba songs." And they invited this lame story about a girl getting married with three potential fathers. For the most part, I agree with the points that Ruben made. Meryl Streep is amazing. I firmly believe that she is the greatest living actress. Pierce Brosnan's singing was atrocious and brought the whole film down. In spite of my criticism of the weak storyline, there's no denying that Abba songs are fun, catchy, and infectious. So on that level, the movie works since it has two excellent qualities: La Streep in the lead and lots of Abba songs. Throw in beautiful Greek Isle scenery, no violence, and a homosexual Colin Firth, and you're got a fun summer movie. I give it a 7 out of 10.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, but I beg to differ. I think the storyline is actually quite brilliant and strong. True, it's not the most *interesting* story in the world, but every detail is well thought out. For example (and I could go on all day, but will limit myself):

1. "I have a dream"
"I'll cross the stream, I have a dream" shows the young woman leaving the Greek island in a boat to follow her dream instead of growing up too fast, a point that was well-established in the plot.

2. "Lay all your love on me"
"Smoking was my only vice" shows the groom-to-be smoking a cigar, which is an entirely believable, organic act.

3. "The Winner Takes it All"
"But I was a fool, playing by the rules" explains her seeming resistance to conform or want what everybody else wants; she was hurt and doesn't want to be vulnerable again.

Yes, the writers did stretch occasionally to work all the songs into the plot, but even the stretching falls comfortably within expected musical theatre devices (such as "Gimme Gimme Gimme," "Dancing Queen," and "Does Your Mother Know").

These are thoughts probably only best expressed (and understood) by some silly 'mo who wore out the grooves on his ABBA record as a child, and who has seen the stage show four times.

- JRP
(A.K.A. the silly 'mo who wore out the grooves on his ABBA record as a child, and who has seen the stage show four times.)

P.S. Good review, though!

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home