Obscurity Knocks

Earnest, empathetic, industrious, unpretentious, gay Virgo in Milwaukee with a great life, amazing friends, and a wonderful family.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

US Open notes



Justine Henin is unquestionably the best women's player. Her style of play is beautiful to watch, and I've never seen a more perfect backhand. She beat both Serena and Venus Williams on her way to the US Open championship. Not only is Justine one of the best to ever pick up a racquet, she has real class.

Even though he retired in his fourth round match versus Andy Roddic, Thomas Berdych is a player to watch. I was impressed watching him defeat Simone Bolelli in the second round and Fernando Verdasco in the third round.

Jelena Jankovic, one of the highly touted Serbians, is an excellent player, and she also has a sparkling personality. I'm sure that she'll win a major before too long.

I wonder if Andy Murray will ever become a top 5 player. He throws everything including the kitchen sink into his game. Sometimes that works, but he oftentimes self-destructs on the court. I enjoyed watching him defeat Jonas Bjorkman in the second round in a great five setter. However, Murray has battled injuries this year and hasn't improved as much as his counterparts in their early 20s. I'd like nothing more than to see Murray become the first Brit to win Wimbledon since Fred Perry in 1936.

When not attending matches in person, I prefer the USA Network television coverage (weekdays) to that on CBS (weekends). The team of Ted Robinson, John McEnroe, Tracy Austin, and Jim Courier on USA is better than Dick Enberg (who is a living legend, but Ted Robinson has better knowledge of the game), Mary Carillo, and McEnroe in CBS.

How many people in the United States feel about the NFL and the NBA is how I feel about professional tennis. I can't get enough, particularly during the four majors. And being at the US Open in New York is an amazing experience. I could never sit through half of an NFL game, let alone an entire 3.5 hour ordeal. I just don't like football at any level, professional or college. I do enjoy college basketball, but wouldn't dream of watching an NBA game. No hockey, either. And if I go to one Brewers game per year, that's plenty. But tennis is a different story. I love how the game combines the physical and the intellectual, and how ultimately it's personal victory or loss on the court.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home