Obscurity Knocks

Earnest, empathetic, industrious, unpretentious, gay Virgo in Milwaukee with a great life, amazing friends, and a wonderful family.

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Symphony transportation

I had a ticket to the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra concert last Saturday. The program was unparalleled: Andreas Delfs conducting Leonard Bernstein's Chichester Psalms and Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 "Choral."

There was a snow/ice/rain storm in progress in Milwaukee that evening, so I decided not to drive from my condo to Uihlein Hall. I wasn't worried about my own driving, but I was concerned about someone sliding into my car, either while I was driving or when it was parked while I was at the concert. So I decided to take the bus. There's a stop right across from my condo. I was the only person to get on at that stop, and the bus got stuck in the snow after stopping to pick me up. There were about 40 other people on that bus, and I thought that they were going to go after me since the bus got stuck in the snow after stopping to pick me up. Fortunately, it was a well-behaved group and I was fine, although a few of them gave me dirty looks. We had to wait until the next bus on that line showed up about 15 minutes later and then get onto that one. Fortunately, the second bus didn't get stuck, and I made it to the concert with time to spare. It was snowing when I went into Uihlein Hall and raining after.

Since it was raining more horizontally then vertically, I decided to start walking along the bus line and get on the first bus I saw. I walked/jogged the entire 1.8 miles home and didn't see one bus the entire time. I was completely soaked from head to toe by the time I arrived home. But it was most definitely worth it because the concert was transcendent and amazing. I was on such a high after the concert that I didn't mind the chilly and wet walk home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home