Obscurity Knocks

Earnest, empathetic, industrious, unpretentious, gay Virgo in Milwaukee with a great life, amazing friends, and a wonderful family.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sense and Sensibility


Having seen "The Jane Austen Book Club" movie, I decided that I needed to read or re-read all six of Jane Austen's novels. I read "Sense and Sensibility" soon after seeing the Emma Thompson/Kate Winslet movie version of the novel in 1996. But that was more than 14 years ago, so I read it a second time, hopefully this time with more sense than I had back in 1996. There's no need to recount the plot since it is so well known. Most people, me included, can relate to aspects of both Elinor and Marianne Dashwood's personalities. The fun, of course, is seeing Elinor become more comfortable with and able to express her feelings (she gains sensibility), and Marianne to restrain her opinions and passions (she gains sense). I thought that Elinor and Colonel Brandon were better suited than Colonel Brandon and Marianne, although I can see why Austen has things turn out the way that they do. I was also perplexed by the scene where Mr. Willoughby confesses everything to Elinor while Marianne is ill. Willoughby's confession didn't make me have any sympathy for him; it may have even diminished any positive feelings that I did have for him. Perhaps that scene is meant to demonstrate that Elinor has emotion more than trying to create sympathy for Willoughby. Regardless, I have no positive feelings whatsoever for Willoughby. I love the cast of characters that Austen creates, especially Mrs. Jennings and the Steele sisters. A great book, for sure.
9 of 10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home