Obscurity Knocks

Earnest, empathetic, industrious, unpretentious, gay Virgo in Milwaukee with a great life, amazing friends, and a wonderful family.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ruben and Mark






Ruben, Mark, and I have an annual tradition of not watching the Super Bowl and instead watching something really gay. It started in 2006 when we watched "Absolutely Fabulous" episodes. Ruben and Mark love that show; I don't care for it. In 2007 we all enjoyed a screening of "9 to 5" starring Dolly Parton, Jane Fonda, and Lily Tomlin. In 2008 we watched "Die Mommie Die" and "Psycho Beach Party," the Charles Busch camp classics. How could we get more gay than that? Well, Ruben accepted the challenge this year and outdid himself. We watched the DVD of "Rufus Does Judy at Carnegie Hall," Rufus Wainwright's tribute to Judy Garland's legendary concert at Carnegie Hall on April 23, 1961. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed Rufus's tribute, largely because it was a genuine homage to Judy Garland and not pure camp. True, there were some campy elements, but it was the real deal. Not that I have anything against camp, but you don't mess with Judy or the great American songbook. I just love the songs from Judy and Rufus's Carnegie Hall shows. Amazing. They don't write songs like that anymore. How can you not love "Stormy Weather," "The Man That Got Away," "Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart," "San Francisco," and all the others?
I'm not sure what we'll do in 2010, but we'd better start formulating a plan now, because I'm not sure what can be more gay than Rufus Wainwright doing Judy Garland's Carnegie Hall concert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home