Obscurity Knocks

Earnest, empathetic, industrious, unpretentious, gay Virgo in Milwaukee with a great life, amazing friends, and a wonderful family.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Dance Like There's No Tomorrow


Of course everyone knows that Paula Abdul is a train wreck. But when I heard that she had a new song out, I was intrigued. You see, I'm an unabashed fan of late 80s and early 90s pop, and Paula was certainly a big part of pop music in those years. In my opinion, "Straight Up" is a truly excellent pop song. So are "Opposites Attract," "Cold Hearted," and "They Way That You Love Me." In light of her history of providing danceable pop hits, I didn't hesitate to pay 99 cents for "Dance Like There's No Tomorrow" on iTunes. I figured that Randy Jackson's involvement as producer would ensure a well-crafted pop tune. Well, I was wrong. "Dance Like There's No Tomorrow" is certainly adequate, but it doesn't have the power and fun of Paula's hits from the late 80s and early 90s. Color me disappointed. Why does every woman in pop feels compelled to run her vocal track through a computer/synthesizer? To me, that detracts from a song. Also, the tempo of "DLTNT" seems a bit slow for a comeback dance/pop tune. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home